Information and Advice

Please speak to the Building Control team if you have specific enquiries

Brochure cover of extensions - a beginners guide to expanding your living space


Click the external link below to access the easy to follow Guide to Extending your Home:

  • Identify if you need planning or building control for your project

    Planning portal (external link)

  • Information and Advice for Homeowners

    LABC Front Door (external link)

    LABC (external link)

  • Party Wall Act

    If you are proposing to start work covered by the Party Wall Act, as the homeowner, you must give adjoining owners notice of your intentions as set down in the act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed and if they disagree, the act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes.

    The act is separate from obtaining planning permission or building regulations approval.

    Building control has no involvement in the Party Wall Act

    Government guidance (external link)

    Find a Party Wall Surveyor (external link)